Welcome to Hackney New School
Information for 2014 Joiners
Applications to Hackney New School for 2014 are now closed. Late applications must be submitted to the Hackney Learning Trust and considered on a case-by-case basis.
Music applicants will be informed whether they should attend the morning or afternoon slots for aptitude tests on 23rd November.
2014 Prospectus: Download here or contact the school office for a copy
Meeting for Mentors at 5.15pm on Wednesday 27 November - a chance to meet pupils and discuss strategies for mentor/pupil sessions
Please inform email@example.com if you are attending
If you would like to mentor a student at HNS, please read more here
- A new free secondary school for boys and girls aged 11-19
- Class size of up to 25 pupils
- 100 places for Year 7 pupills
- A particular focus on music
- Located on Downham Road, Hackney N1 5AA
Welcome from the Headteacher
Choosing the right school for your child is one of the most important decisions a parent ever has to make. Finding a school which offers the right environment for them to develop academically and socially with confidence is not a task to be taken lightly. All of us at Hackney New School take our responsibilities to our pupils very seriously and it is my privilege to realise the core vision of the founding governors of providing pupils with access to the widest range of opportunities in life.
HNS will of course be known for its academic achievements but you will also be impressed by the warmth of relationships amongst all members of the school community. Pupils enjoy a wide range of enrichment activities alongside opportunities to perform in music, drama and sports, allowing confidence and self-awareness to grow.
We set high standards for our pupils across all areas of the curriculum, making sure we provide the support to enable them to achieve their goals. We help our pupils to become more efficient learners, encouraging self-motivation and good study habits. Our focus on music not only develops individual talent but also teaches focus and concentration. Pupils learn the importance of working together as a school community, treating everyone with respect and earning it in return.
Our outstanding teachers and support staff use innovative teaching and technology alongside regular assessment to ensure progress. Communication between school and home is be an integral part of pupil support and development. HNS aims to be at the heart of the community in Hackney.
Some of the distinctive features of our curriculum are:
- an extended day starting with a breakfast club from 7.30am and ending at 5-6pm
- the division of the school day into a “teaching morning” and a supervised “study afternoon” with an extended break in between. This will provide pupils with the time needed to learn to think for themselves
- mixed ability teaching embedded within an extensive house and tutorial support system
- pupils in each year group will have a fixed classroom for most of their subjects
- an emphasis on public performance in sports, music and academic activities
- a unique course called “The Core” emphasizing oral debate of the history of ideas
- a partnership with HMDT Music to deliver our music programme
- summer school during the long summer break
I look forward to meeting you at our open days and school visits over the coming months.
Our vision for Hackney New School is to provide students with access to the widest range of opportunities in life by fostering academic excellence and instilling self-belief, intellectual curiosity and responsibility towards others in society.